A variety of plants, chemicals, foods, and other items found in your home can be toxic to cats. That’s why cat owners need to understand what is poisonous to their animals and the signs of toxic ingestions. If your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, our team at Augusta Animal Clinic in Indianapolis is here to help in these dire situations. We offer emergency vet care when your pet needs it most. These are some of the things you need to be aware of that could seriously harm your pet.
Cats should avoid over-the-counter and prescription medications, which means people should take the necessary steps to keep them away from areas where cats can get into. The most toxic medications to cats are often NSAIDs, acetaminophen, antidepressants, and others.
Certain plants can cause harm to your cat. Common poisonous plants include azaleas, lilies, tulips, daffodils, and certain palms. Even plants that seem innocuous could pose a problem in your home, even if your cat does not eat a lot of the plant. Ask our vet team about any plants you keep in your home and how to protect your cat against poisonous plants.
Insecticides and Household Cleaners
Many chemicals that are commonly found in the home can be fatal to a cat if he or she ingests them. Be careful when you use chemicals to prevent or fight a bug problem in your home, and check for the toxicity of cleaning chemicals before you allow cats to be exposed to them.
Certain foods are very dangerous for pets. Foods you should be wary of include chocolate, onions, garlic, sugar substitutes, and alcohol. If you suspect your cat was exposed to toxic food, you should contact our animal clinic right away.
Visit Us for Cat Care from Our Veterinarian in Indianapolis
Augusta Animal Clinic provides treatment after your cat has been poisoned or has faced toxic ingestion in Indianapolis. Our veterinarian can help you determine the next steps. Call our clinic to learn more about how you can protect your cat from dangerous household toxins.